Things to Consider When Choosing a Tour of Machu Picchu
If there is one thing there is no lack of, it’s companies that offer tours of Machu Picchu. This trip is often something you will experience only once and may be the perfect item to check off your bucket list. However, don’t choose the first tour company that you encounter. You may need to do some digging to find the perfect Machu Picchu tour package for your ultimate vacation.
First things first, you need to determine what you’re looking for in the tour. There are various options, so finding something that works for you often isn’t too difficult. The questions below can help you figure out what your priorities are.
- Short Tour or Longer Trek – You can take a train or bus to Machu Picchu if you prefer to do less hiking, but if you want to trek the Inca Trail, that’s an option too.
- Starting Location – Some people enjoy taking a tour group from Lima, while others prefer traveling to Cusco on their own and then going from there.
- Luxury or Budget – There are plenty of tours out there, no matter what is in your wallet. If you are happy with a simple trip, go for that. If you want a more luxurious visit, you can find those too.
- Extended Tour – The typical short tour will go right to Machu Picchu and then send you back to your lodgings. However, there are options for an extended tour where you can spend a few days in the area enjoying the many sites.
- Inclusive – You can find tours that are all-inclusive if that appeals to you. If you prefer to do things on your own, a regular visit will suffice.
Choosing the Right Company
You will find that a Machu Picchu tour company is primarily run as a vast international corporation or a smaller Peruvian agency based in Cusco or Lima. They both have advantages and disadvantages, so choosing can be challenging.
- Travel Forums – If you visit Peruvian travel forums, you can speak with others about their experiences. This is an excellent way to narrow down your options. However, keep in mind that everyone has a different taste so what one person thinks is perfect may be horrible to another.
- Independent Recommendations – Another great option is to buy and check out the latest edition of your favorite guidebook. This will give recommendations and reviews. Some of this information can also be found online, but be sure it is current.
- Ask Fellow Travelers – If you’re already touched down in Peru, you can ask other people who they chose. There are many people who have already visited, and they can give you useful information for your own planning.
The Tour of a Lifetime
No matter what company you decide on, the tour of Machu Picchu is one of the most breathtaking things that travelers may ever see. Make sure to enjoy it for what it is and take in a unique experience most people will never be able to replicate.