Sailing on board a yacht charter can be a thrilling experience. If you want to make the most out of your trip, though, you’ll need to pay attention to a few details. Here are some tips to help you out:
1. Choose what type of sailboat charter you’ll have. There are two types of charters, says the Cruising World. The first one is fully crewed, where your boat comes with a captain and a crew. The other one is bareboat. This means you’re the captain and you’ve got pals and family for a crew. Both offer unique advantages but if you haven’t got any experience in boating or wish to take it easy, simply enjoying the views and the time away from work, then it might be better to go with a crewed charter.
2. Find a reliable charting company. You don’t have to blow your budget to the moon simply because you want a yacht charter to the US Virgin Island on your next family trip. There are plenty of options you can choose from that offer great trips at unforgettable locales at rates that won’t leave your wallet empty.
3. Charter traffic patterns. Remember that yours won’t be the only boat out there. Neither will you and your pals be the only tourists taking in the sights. So ask about the itinerary and traffic patterns. That way, if you see anything on the list that you don’t particularly like or would like to cut short—say reduce the two hours spent on a particular island to just one so you could swing by the beach instead—is a great way to make the most out of every moment of your trip.
4. Listen to safety rules. Know where the sailboats are. Lifejackets should always be accessible whether you’re on deck or in your room. Listen and take the necessary safety precautions. This might seem tedious to you but knowing what to do in an emergency can save you as well as your friends and family a whole lot of trouble.
5. Tipping. The norm is to tip somewhere between 5 and 15 percent of the charter’s value, says the Tatler. You can be as discreet or open as you want to be.
Learn how to snorkel, go kayaking, swim and count tiny fins, among other things. Chartering a yacht really promises to be a unique experience. If you haven’t gone on one yet, it’s high time you did.
Blue Mystic Charters an unforgettable time at sea. For information on day charters and night stays, contact us!